datestampWednesday, May 7, 2008

Thank goodness God doesn't work for the cable company

I know...I know...
I had plenty of fair warning.

I just can't get everthing done. That's no secret, right? And I often joke with some of my friends that I just really need a wife.

Now, before all of you wives take offense to that, hear me out.

There is a reason why it's helpful for there to be one part of the partnership home taking care of home things while the other part of the partnership is working to bring home money. One of the reasons is that it's hard to do both.

And I know I'm just me.
And it should be easy to take care of just me.

But, the truth is, I need to:
-change the lightbulb for my front porch. I've been needing to for 3 months.
-make an appointment to see the dentist. I've been needing to for (gulp) a year.
-put my Christmas tree away that's on the floor in my basement (and you should know I didn't even put one up this past year...yeah, it's been on the floor THAT long).
-pay the bills that have been piling up.

I've noticed yellow letters (with red type) from the cable company. I think I even remember one of them saying "PAST DUE". The most recent letter (probably the 2nd letter to say this) said, "don't let your service be interrupted".

I should have listened.

I came home tonight after class to catch up on the Jazz game.
I turned on the tv.
The light is on. It's working.
I can see the blue box along the bottom that shows me the channel, the time, and the show that is SUPPOSED to be on the screen.

But there is no picture.
There is no sound.

Apparently, they weren't kidding about the "past due" and the "service interrupted" warnings.

And so, here I sit.
I didn't heed the warnings.
I didn't take care of it in time.
And now I've got nothing.
The world could be ending. Obama could officially be named the nominee for the Democrat party (wait, aren't those two the same thing?).
And I wouldn't know.
I have no television signal.
My connection has been interrupted.

You know, I have to tell you. Sometimes I'm as behind on my communication and "payments", as it were, with God. I mean, I say my prayers and do what I should do for the most part, but I could do better.

And every now and then, I'll get a little nudge from the Spirit to "step it up" or to pay better attention to my spiritual connection. And sometimes, to be honest, I delay responding. I don't mean to, but I get busy, I get caught up in all the other things I have going on, and I just don't act quickly enough.

The amazing thing to me is that there is never an interruption in the service on His end, though. Even though I gave a half-hearted prayer this morning on my way out the door (the kind where you kneel on one knee with the door open and you're holding your keys in one hand and your bag in the other), tonight when I go upstairs and kneel to pray, He will be waiting. The connection will be completely ready for me.

And I'll tell Him all about my really really great day.
And if I listen, He'll say, "I told you so."
And I'll thank Him for how kind He's being to me.
And if I'm quiet, I'll hear Him reply, "That's what I do."
And I'll tell Him some of the things that are on my mind.
And if I kneel long enough, He'll whisper, "I'm already working on that."
And I'll tell Him how very much I love Him...with all of my heart and soul.
And if I'm still, I'll feel Him tell me, "I love you very much too."

There is never any interruption on His part when it comes to a connection with me.
He doesn't wave the "past due" notices in my face.
He isn't reminding me how much I owe.

He just loves me.
Thank goodness...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another masterpiece Laurel!!!! Absolutely tender and wonderful!!!! You have provided so many gospel lessons for all of us who benefit from your blog. I feel guilty in a way because this is all such "pure gold" material and we get it at no cost - it's all free fantastic life lessons and counsel. We should be charged for reading this material. But be assured, that whenever I use your words of wisdom, you will receive all the credit and more. You will never be just my niece Laurel, but you will be introduced as the "amazing" (I know that word is starting to get on your nerves - sorry, but it's the best description for now) - the "amazing" Laurel Christensen, my niece, whom I love and admire. Thanks for this great eternal message. I now will forever think about how the Lord says, "I told you so" and "That's what I do" and "I'm already working on that" and "I love you very much too." Absolutely precious Laurel!!!!!

BEARING WITNESS OF CHRIST said...

Thanks for the reminder!! It is nice to know that no matter what we do, or don't do, the most important line, or connection, will never fail us! But it can be dormant if we don't at least "plug in" once in a while! Then we could loose the knowledge of how the connection works!

Love you Laurel, and I bet your book will sell even better than Jason's!! (hahaha)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I cannot believe what I am hearing from my children. So much kindness and wisdom. I'm not sure where they got it all. Maybe from their father's siblings. Love to all.

rachel said...

THANK GOODNESS is right!

Anonymous said...

Another absolutely wonderful message that I needed to hear (or read) today. Again I do think you are wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

maybe you need a home teacher.

Elaine said...

Never knew the Cable Company could be so useful. A great sermon, Laurel. Thanks for the reminder that He DOES love us--always!

Beth Blair said...

Thank goodness indeed.