I'm sticking with my married male friends...
...for a little while.
One of my friends recently told me that I think too much.
I think maybe that's true.
Sometimes I think too much.
So, this is me NOT thinking...very much.
(clearly this is proof or I would NEVER be sharing this. And just so you know, this really is supposed to be funny...not pathetic...but genuinely funny. In other words, it really is okay to laugh. Because I have.)
There once was a time when the number of single heterosexual men in my life well outnumbered the number of married heterosexual men. But things have changed, my friends. Things have changed.
Now, I have to work really hard to assign each of my fingers on one hand the name of a single heterosexual guy I currently know. And that's only if I pretend I don't have a thumb.
But, I digress.
Currently, I have more married male friends than single male friends. And I have to say, aside from the "I'd like to be married and I can't marry men who are already married" thing, it's not so bad.
The married men I know are among the finest men around.
And they think I'm great.
And they don't play games.
I'm like their kid sister who they feel protective of.
They want to beat up the boy who broke my heart.
They think he's crazy.
Who doesn't love that?
And we'll get back to them in a minute.
Recently I got a bee in my bonnet to show the Lord I was really committed to doing my part again to get married (not married again...this will be a first...but trying again to find someone...). And after looking at my one hand (and pretending I didn't have a thumb) I realized a 36 year old single chiquita doesn't have a lot of choices in the meeting of eligible bachelors. I've had my fair share of set ups and that's been just fine. But, I decided to be a little more proactive by hooking up with this Dr. friend of mine (because surely "Dr. friends" would be good for quality hook ups, right?)
Well, the only problem is, this particular "Dr. friend" is also trying to hook up several hundred thousand other people.
(Really, Laurel, are you REALLY sharing this?)
Dr. Warren.
Dr. Neil Warren.
That might happen to be the same guy who founded EHarmony.
It might be.
So, this "Dr. friend" of mine has done me pretty good. I had a goal to have a date a month and I've been able to do that. And I've had the chance to be the "I'm not that interested" side of the relationship (which is always good for the feelings of self-worth) and I've even done some missionary work in the process (another story for another time). But about a month ago, Dr. Warren tried to set me up with a guy I had already met.
Awkward.
But, this guy didn't realize we had already met.
More awkward.
Now, granted, I look different than when we originally met (like 6 years ago). But he wasn't looking at my "super model" picture. He was looking at a pretty regular picture of me (I mean, not that this happened online or anything. Dr. Warren just happened to have pictures of both of us and just happened to share them.). But, he didn't realize it.
So, we've been "communicating" only I'm such a dork that I've been using the name "Anne" because I have feared this very thing...getting matched with someone I already knew. So, he was kind of acting way too interested (because I really am completely irresistable via email and phone...guys dig my wit and my voice...what can I say?) and I figured it was time to "come clean" before he got in too deep (grin) and tell him who I was and that we'd already met (and that he was a jerk back then but I wasn't going to mention that).
SO....
I tell him, "um, oh, by the way, my real name is Laurel and you might not remember this but we met through (blah blah blah) at (blah blah blah)". I felt like I needed to be honest, tell him who I was and then kindly "close the match", so to speak.
But, I kind of lost interest and didn't do anything.
Until last night.
You see, God and I have been doing quite a bit of talking lately (more about that later) and I finally just straight out asked Him if it was okay if I canceled my subscription (or, I mean, ended my friendship) with Dr. Warren. I told Him I would step up other efforts but did He really mean for me to spend my time & energy trying to meet His sons like this?
So, the nanosecond God confirmed I could bow out (which was last night), I hopped online to...end my friendship...with my Dr. friend. And I was going to close all the current matches and just gracefully walk away with a little bit of satisfaction.
But, I didn't get to enjoy the closing of this particular match.
Because he had closed it already.
WHAT?!? HE closed it?
He doesn't have the right to close the match, right?
I mean if ANYONE gets to close the match it's me.
I was the one who was nice enough to give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he'd changed.
He was the one that initiated contact.
You don't get to close the match when YOU were the jerk and YOU initiated contact.
Right?
Am I right?
I actually paid money to be connected to a guy whose path I've crossed before who I thought was a jerk then only to have my path cross his again so that he could close the match?
Now THAT is funny.
I actually think that is really really funny.
(that's $99.95 I'm never going to get back).
So, I'm out.
Good bye, EHarmony.
Good bye.
And, this is me...not thinking very much.
(BTW, for now I'm sticking with my married male friends for a little while. It's just so much easier...grin...)
Ah, someone is at the door...my houseguests for the weekend.
More later!

3 comments:
You are my absolute favorite! Every blog post is an utter joy.
When do we get to see you? Me and one of your married male friends wants to get together. :)
Hi Laurel, I'm Karen's sister Wendy. So fun to read your posts. I also recently found your new book....wanna get it! It's great to find great people out there sharing their opinions!!
I'll keep coming back!
What? a new book? Karen's sister, Wendy, just revealed something I am absolutely out of the loop. What's the book? I mean, Laurel, come on, I'm your aunt who adores everything you write and say. I have your new CD (thanks for mailing it to me), but I want to buy your NEW BOOK!!! (Do not, and I mean, do not mail it to me free of charge). Which, by the way, I owe you for the CD - we'll settle that when I see you in August.
Loved this post - you have such a great attitude. I'm praying for you ALWAYS!!!
Post a Comment