Happy Mother's Day, Larrie!
That's not a typo.
My mother has a father's name.
LARRIE.
When I was little, any time I heard a man named "Larry", I giggled. Why did a MAN have a GIRL'S name? To this day, I think any guy named "Larry" is a little feminine...not that there's anything wrong with that.
My mother is an incredible teacher of the Gospel. She taught me to pray. She taught me to trust. She continues to teach me to believe. She loves me and teaches me how to love. I've watched her stay up at night for a child. I've watched her cry for a child (I've been one of those). I've heard her pray for a child, me included. My mother is deeply committed to her marriage covenant and no less committed to her mother covenant. I love her for that.
Thanks, Mom. Thanks for being the kind of mom to me that you knew a girl would want. Thanks for showing me the kind of Mom I want to someday be.
I LOVE YOU, MOM!
Today is Mother's Day (or as I like to call it, "Are-we-not-all-mothers" day). This day has different implications for all women. And just in this group of readers, we have:
-women with children at home
-women who wish they still had children at home
-women who are alone today
-women who wish they were alone today (grin)
-women who have a mother they are connected to and have a great relationship with
-women who are trying to be the kind of mother they did not have
-women who are trying to start a family
-women who wish they could start a family...or wish they had it in them to keep trying
-women who are raising children
-women who have buried a child
-women who have given birth to a child with their own DNA
-women who have given life to a child with someone else's
-women who are nurturing a child who has only known them as "mom"
-women who are nurturing children who used "mom" with someone else first.
I LOVE the examples of mothers I have all around me.
So, today we get to celebrate mothers. And since all women are mothers in the most-true sense of the word, we celebrate women...all of Heavenly Father's girls.
And I, for one, am grateful to be one of His girls.
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to Larrie and all the other women I love!

5 comments:
Lovely tribute from a lovely daughter to her mom. I celebrate both womanhood and motherhood today.
Hey Laurel- Happy Mother's Day to you. You are a role model for lots of young women who don't have it at home. They are learning great things from you and I guarantee you are leaving impressions on their hearts and souls. Seems like you fit in your list. Speaking with the experience of one who didn't have a righteous mother at home, your influences will be eternal. It takes way more than DNA to be a mother.
Happy Mothers Day Larrie. Knowing you has been one of the coolest by-products of knowing Laurel.
I'm so glad that somehow I was able to persuade you that I'm "ok." I certainly do love you, pray for you and wish for all your dreams to come true. The blessing is mine--to be your mom. Thanks for loving me.
My eyes are wet thinking about your thought process regarding mom's. How wonderful of you to give this to so many friends. I love you.
Post a Comment