My dress was better (also knowns as "I'm a good godmother! I am! I am!")
So, tonight was Lilly's first birthday and as the godmother of little Lilly, I was of course invited to the birthday party (never mind that I was late and missed the traditional "birthday cake dig-in" enjoyed by every new one year old...I'm SUCH a bad godmother!).
With a birthday party comes the birthday gift.
Now the birthday gift, when you are the godmother, is a delicate matter.
TOO good and you show up the grandparents.
NOT good enough and you have the parents questioning their "godmother decision".
Like I said, it's a delicate balance.
And there is no "godmother training" course, so really you kind of have to be self-taught in this matter (and so many others).
Lucky for me, I have LOTS of experience in self-teaching...
harmonica (and no, there is no end to my odd talents)...
shoe shopping...
EHarmony...
speeding tickets...
but, I digress.
I got to the party, albeit a little late, just in time for the present opening.
I bought one, kind of creepy, stuffed-animal elephant head that makes a funny noise when you push it's belly (which really is creepy because it really is just a stuffed-animal HEAD of the elephant...there really ISN'T a belly) for Lilly so that she'd have something to play with (she pretty much hated it...it freaked her out...).
And then I got her the cutest dress ever.
And I mean CUTE.
Pink
Polka-dots
Colorful ribbons
SO CUTE.
SO CUTE, right? I mean sure, I'm wearing the exact same thing I was wearing when I went golfing with grandpa but this isn't about me.
HOW CUTE IS THAT DRESS?
Everyone "ooh"d and "awe"d, which is really why you buy the perfect dress for a 1-year old. You certainly aren't buying it for the child...it's to impress the people at the party, right?
And, unfortunately for Tammy's sister, they saw my dress AFTER opening the dress she HANDMADE.
Sure, it was adorable fabric.
Sure, it had matching pantaloons (sp?).
SURE, it was reversible.
SURE, it was made with love.
SURE, it was the kind of thing you'd sell at a boutique in Park City for $85.
But, how can THIS brilliant little creation beat my offerring?
So, after seeing the homemade dress from the aunt, it was a little awkward for everyone when they saw the adorable dress from the godmother.
I mean they had no choice but to not be quite as taken by my dress.
They didn't want Uzi to feel bad!
Yes, it was a little awkward.
She still thinks her dress won the contest (as if there was a contest. Come on! It was all about Lilly and her happiness. That's all that really mattered.).
But, it was so painfully obvious which dress was better.
So painfully obvious...
(by the way, this picture just doesn't do this creation justice. Head on over to the I-think-I'll-show-up-the-best-friend-and-godmother-with-her-lame-store-bought-dress seamstress's blog. And, really, you have to order one of these puppies. I've just never seen anything cuter. I'm ordering some myself!...not FOR myself...that would be odd. I'm ordering them as a "faith order" planning to someday need them...much like I just "faith ordered" a king size mattress. But, now I'm really digressing...ever notice I have a tendency to do that?)

3 comments:
Both dresses are equally charming because they were equal offerings to make a one year old happy. Besides, one is dots and the other is apples - can't go wrong with either!! Very very cute dresses!!!!
Love the darling polka dots on your hot pink little dress! Now, if you would just come to Hong Kong, I could really help you maintain your number one ranking as Godmother by taking you to the best places for little girl shopping on this side of the world! (well, ok...we can also do some great big girl shopping as well!) Lucky Lily to have you in her life!
um, king size mattress? we haven't talked for awhile have we??? ;)
Post a Comment