datestampFriday, May 2, 2008

I'd rather you hear this from me than Deseret Book.

I try not to mix personal & business.
But this is the epitome of mixing the two.

My product director at Deseret Book (the one that started it all with a little talk CD 18 months ago) has had a little idea in his mind for a while.

He wanted to create a site for young women to go and get to know me.
I was certain that wasn't the winner idea he thought it was.

But, after a lot of conversations with him and even more conversations with the Lord in prayer, I came to the uncomfortable conclusion that there IS a need for a place for girls to go...not to get to know ME...but to have a safe place to land and see the gospel in action in daily life. And, more importantly, a place where one person didn't have all the answers but could show the girls how to find the answers...where to go...who to REALLY listen to. I felt strongly that someone needed to help make the YW General Presidency and other Church leaders, and the scriptures relevant. Someone who could simply point to the real sources for direction and answers.

The unfortunate uncomfortable part of that conclusion is that I was a part of it.

But, it's officially out there as of yesterday and I figure I'd rather you hear it from me than see it in an email or find out about it somewhere else.

There are a hundred reasons why this makes me want to throw up. But, I can't run away from something I feel I should be doing. And I can't care about the perception of it or the judgements that might come. I need to step up. And so I have.

I want my heart to stay right. And I just want it to do some good.

Check it out and if you think it would be helpful to any teenage girls you might know, I'd love to have them join in on the conversation.

GoAskLaurel.com
(And try to avoid the temptation to pretend you are a teenage girl!...grin...)

I wanted you to hear it from me...

11 comments:

Diane said...

Laurel,
I think this will be a wonderful blessing for so many young women. I have loved reading your blog and thinking about your stories and analogies...what a gift--thank you for sharing!
On a more worldly note...I love the new photos of you...they are perfect...the blog design is fabulous. Thank heaven for Laurels like you!

BEARING WITNESS OF CHRIST said...

Thanks for sharing this with all of us. I don't have, nor will I ever have, a teenage daughter but I'm sure there are plenty out there that need this very thing. I have checked it out already and it's great! Thanks for being willing to do something you really don't want to do.

That's just who you are isn't it!!!???? :)

Brandy said...

Laurel, I am so so so excited about this! What a wonderful outlet for young women to go to if they need direction, conversation, a pick-me-up, and just that safe place to fall. Wish there had been something like that when I was a teen (of course back then computers consisted of that small dark screen with the blinking orange square)! Anyway, I am so so proud of you! Way to go. I can't think of anyone better for these young women to look up to and emmulate. Love you to pieces!

rachel said...

What a totally hip looking site! I love the colors and the design. Mostly I love the awesome photos of you. Your hair looks good dark. How much fun did you have in that photo shoot????
This site is going to be so awesome! I cannot wait to pass it on to the girls who were so very fortunate to have met you last summer at camp. They will benefit from your site and your words of wisdom.
GREAT JOB!!! I am so excited!!

LeaAnne said...

How exciting! I know a bunch of MB girls that will want to just "see it too" ;) I think this is great!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Laurel!!! I'm looking forward to reading your words of wisdom to the YW, even if I a bit older than they, but it will be fun to say, "I'm Laurel's aunt"!! I will pass this new venture on to those I know who would benefit from "Go Ask Laurel".

Anonymous said...

You might be Laurel's aunt but how do you think I feel, being Laurel's dad. This is just great.

rachel said...

I would love to hear from your sister if that is what she had... Thanks for your thoughts.

Kara said...

So basically this means that I have to share you with a bunch of young women? I thought I had an exclusive right to your advice. I don't like this one bit!

PS - You rock!

Adam and Bri said...

Gosh, you're amazing! I love this site, and I love you! You're going to touch so many people with this.

Oh, and I'm going to be like my mother and go "worldly" on you for a second ..... those pictures are stunning! Seriously. Just gorgeous.

Mrs Andy said...

First....totally CUTE site! Seriously, I love how you worked your favorite peep toe red shoes into the mix...fashionista!

Second, this kind of site is needed. There is so much GARBAGE out there for girls. It's refreshing to see something this nice for a change!