datestampSunday, May 4, 2008

A good dinner party & a good tag

I'm a sucker for both.

Last night I was forced to play Nertz (sp?) at a truly divine little dinner party. Sure, I did the cooking (Kentucky Chili & Derby Pie...does it get any better than that?) but the divine part was being with people I know & love...people I'm totally comfortable with. That's a combination that's good for the soul.

Then the game of Nertz (I still don't know how to spell that) came. I feigned not liking the game. Truth is, I don't like showing to the world that sometimes I can be a bratty 7-yr old girl when I play games that are hard for my brain. This isn't a strategic game. It's more like a coordination/fast reaction game and truth is, I'm not overly coordinated (and not so much a fast reactor...OVERreactor, yes, fast reactor, no.). The only saving grace was that once we finally started keeping score, I totally won...and Bart was worse than me (thanks, Bart).

Bart & Lisa are truly good-to-the-core people. I want to be them when I grow up (yes, I realize I'm older...but marriage and kids always seem to make people "more grown up").

So, that was a good dinner party.

And this is a good tag from Lisa (and yes, I realize I'm behind on a few other tags...)

8 things I am passionate about:
-My family
-My testimony of the Gospel
-Politics
-Music (specifically a genius lyric)
-Connecting with teenage girls
-Doing hard things...(blind dates count)
-Trying my darndest to get healthy
-My job (and I feel REALLY blessed I can say that)

8 past books I have read: (or in other words, "an ad for some Deseret Book product")
-The Scriptures
-The Holy Secret
-Recovering Charles (the upcoming book by Jason Wright, his best yet!)
-The Great & Terrible series (brilliant! and I don't even love fiction)
-My Grandfather's Son (autobiography of Clarence Thomas)
-Wait! I Want to Tell You a Story! (children's book that is funniest when David's kids read it to me on the phone)
-God Wants a Powerful People (and it's on sale right now for a ridiculously low price!)
-My journal (and man, it's quite a read!)

8 things I often say:
-"the reality is"
-"SHUT UP!" (I know it's not the best thing to say, I'm trying to break it. I only occasionally say it at inappropriate times.)
-"Oh, Laurel. I can't take you anywhere." (I say it whenever I've messed up.)
-"Oh, Okay."
-something I don't want to admit but all who really know me, know I say it. let's just say it has something to do with stopping the progression of the devil...and really, aren't I just stating a fact when I say that?
-"Enough about me. Let's talk about what you think about me."
-"Amazing" (it's starting to get on my own nerves though, so I'm working on it.)
-"This is Laurel." (since I seem to always be answering a phone, this is in the top 8.)

8 things I look for in a friend:
-honesty
-being consistent (even when I'm not)
-open & like to talk about life & gospel
-help me want to be better than I am
-like to (or at least willing to) discuss politics/current events (and maybe let me influence their vote)
-a shoulder to cry on
-think I'm funny (I know that reveals all sorts of egocentric things about myself)
-gets as excited about a great "chick flick" as I do (and will walk out on a not-so-great one with me when need be)


8 things I want to do before I die:
-run a marathon
-skydive
-get a Mother's Day card (is that sweet to admit that or is it sad? I can't tell...)
-host a radio talk show
-do a voice for an animated film
-visit Prince Edward Island
-take that touristy Sound of Music tour in Austria (is it in Austria?)
-be in a musical (I've given up being able to be "Annie", but I'll find something else)

8 things I have learned this past year:
-blogging is addictive
-I can run farther than I thought
-real change is possible
-it's easier to be motivated to do something hard than something easy (I can't take credit for that. It belongs to SLD.)
-I don't like to be teased as much as I used to
-if you have a heart, it can be broken
-I'm not as strong as I like to pretend I am
-God ALWAYS...ALWAYS...gives me what I need.

-8 people I want to do the 8 things:
Karen & David
Fast & Queenie (both of you)
Tammy
Chrislyn (which would require you go public with your blog!)
Diane (can I call you that?)
Bri
Jill
"Elaine" & "tall dad" (email it to me...OR be cool & start a blog!) and sister Holly
...I know that's more than 8. Basically, if you're reading this and you have a blog, consider yourself tagged!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really, I mean I really would love to see you as a host of a radio talk show. You would be TERRIFIC!! And a voice for an animated movie because I love the sound of your voice and to be in a musical is right up your talented abilities. Go for it GIRLl!!!!!

BEARING WITNESS OF CHRIST said...

Okay, I haven't posted a blog for such a long time and now I guess I have to! Thanks for all these wonderful things you've shared with all of us and I'm glad you had a great Kentucky Derby Dinner! (I worked over 13 hours yesterday so I didn't even get to watch the race.)

Anonymous said...

Back to the fast reactor thing...I NEVER enjoyed playing Speed with you because YOU WERE SO FAST!!! It frustrated me to the core. Part of me wanted to play so I could beat you and the other part told me it wasn't worth the frustration. So I kindly disagree...you are BOTH an over-reactor AND a fast reactor! :)

Glad you had fun...and thanks for the tag. As far as chick-flicks...Karen and I watched Pride and Prejudice Saturday morning...with the kids (we're training them well, aren't we?). :)

Anonymous said...

this is a hard one!

Adam and Bri said...

Well this looks fun! I'll get to it. :)

Diane said...

Laurel,
I just read this post and already it is a wee bit late but when you turn out two posts almost back to back...well, you can't blame me for being a little slow. Since this is my first tag, I think I shall have to try it out--I wonder if I can get it done before Bri? Keep a look out! (You CAN call me Diane!)