I guess my secret is out
A friend was inspired to call REALLY early this morning. She thought she was being obnoxious by calling me so early, but really, God knew I needed her to call.
I was just feeling a bit out of sorts...I don't know...wondering about some things in my life (interesting how sometimes when things seems so good, the Adversary likes to make you question those very good things).
I cried to her a bit but got myself dressed and ready for Church. Still feeling a tich out of sorts and knowing I needed to get my bucket filled.
I walked in for Sacrament meeting and one of my favorite people (my newest "blog stalker") came and sat down next to me. God knew I needed her to sit down by me. And she proceded to say some kind things I needed to hear. What she didn't know is that I was a bit emotional, so when she started to cry, I wanted to cry with her.
Turns out we were both feeling out of sorts a bit...for different reasons, but out of sorts just the same.
This woman amazes me. She's the anchor in her family...and doesn't have the typical "ideal life" (do any of us?). And sometimes when you don't fit the "ideal", you can feel a little more out of sorts at Church if all the stars unfortunately align. Today was one of those days.
FROM THE PULPIT:
It started with a woman who said, and I quote, "Things in my life are so good that I have to think God must really really love me." (Note to self: don't ever say that in a public setting when you don't know all the things people are dealing with.) That was the little "sting" for my friend.
And then came mine. One woman, bless her heart, started talking about Mother's Day coming up (which, just so you all know, I am TOTALLY fine with. I like Mother's Day. I'm not someone who doesn't want to go to Church on Mother's Day. I don't feel patronized when they want to give the plant...that is going to die...to all females over the age of 18. I love it when they are smart enough to choose chocolate, but I don't mind the plant. I'm a believer in the "are we not all mothers" doctrine and so I really actually love the day to pay tribute to good women.) which got her thinking about all the incredible women who have not yet had the chance to bear children.
My stomach dropped a little.
"Please don't say it. please don't say it", I whispered to myself.
I don't even know why I knew it was coming, but I just knew it was coming.
She continued, "You know, women like Laurel...."
"No. No. No. she did not just say that," I whispered, accidentally, out loud.
I felt physically ill.
Why was that such a big deal for me?
Is it some big secret?
I'm single.
And I don't have children.
Everyone knows that.
It's not like she revealed some big sin. She didn't call me out for saying "damnthedevil" at times (see "things I say" in the next post...NOW that secret is out!).
It's not like she told everyone I was a bed-wetter until the age of 12.
And I knew she was saying it out of kindness. She thought she was complimenting me.
But, I don't wear my current life phase as a badge of honor.
I don't.
And I don't need to be "called out" as the single girl who doesn't have children. Even though I know everyone knows it. I felt "called out". And I was so desperately uncomfortable. I have too much pride (yes, I know that's bad) to handle thinking anyone feels sorry for me. I don't handle that well.
The reality is that I am happy and I LOVE what I get to do.
I am in the best place I've been in.
I have amazing people in my life.
I feel truly blessed in so many ways.
God has been SO good to me.
But, I would give it up yesterday for the right opportunity to have the privilege of living the law of marriage and having a family.
And that is the truth.
I'm not going to pretend like I don't want it...
...so much that sometimes it physically hurts.
But, I don't think that makes me pathetic.
I think it makes me a woman.
I guess my secret it out.
(And not that I have to say this to you people, but patronizing comments not allowed. xoxo)

13 comments:
I'm not patronizing Laurel - I'm venting............SHAME ON THAT WOMAN!!!! SHAME, SHAME, DOUBLE SHAME!!! Every woman, every human being, feels "out of sorts" at least once or twice a week (or more), and there is no ideal situation as long as we are mortal and live among mortals (she proved that). Making the best of any situation, with God's help and the help of others, is what we all long for. I wonder what "her" (whatever her name is) needs are, what does she long for, what are her concerns? I may never know, but I at least know that some time this week she will feel "out of sorts", and I hope someone will be there for her. Remember C.S. Lewis - "there are no mere mortals........we live among potential gods and goddesses." I have to remind myself of that truth more often than I would like to admit. Laurel, (and I say it to all who are reading this) if I forget to tell you at the appropriate time - HAPPY WOMAN'S DAY!!! God knows women are amazing every day (even on mother's day). He made us women before He made us mothers - I will, therefore, celebrate that blessing first and count my other blessings second!!!
I love you Laurel! "God Knows You're Amazing"!!!!
Forget the patronizing...I'm glad you're not married yet. You wouldn't be the Laurel I know and love. And just to be clear, I WILL still love you when you get hitched (now THAT was a good movie).
Since I'm a guy and totally don't have a clue...exercise the right to NOT approve this comment. :)
It reminds me of the time my Father (yes, Father!) said to me about my 19 year old niece getting married... "she was a good kid who got good grades. She deserved it." No lie, true words from his mouth.
I love inappropriate comments at church. It makes for good blogs (and sometimes a good cry).
As you were telling the story I knew it was coming before you even said it. If I had a nickle for every time a well meaning sister patted my arm and let me know that Jospeh Smith said "there's always the millenium" I'd be rich!
Laurelm I love your blog! I love your stories. I love your new blog (GoaskLaurel)! and I love your "about me' blog picture (so beautiful and fun). Talk about talented. Love ya girl!
I love the way you think and the way you write. You have such an impressive perspective on EVERYTHING. How do you do that?
P.S. We're going out of town this week, but how about next week for So Cupcake? Adam and Bri are due for a Laurel fix filled with cupcakes and Blokus! And yes, I apparently just referred to ourselves in the third person.
Oh my....how embarassing for you. You are not the kind of person that want a fuss made over her!
I love you Laurel, I hope that today is a better day for you and not so out of sorts for you! You should go celebrate your womanhood by getting a pedicure or fruit smoothy or something great like that! And I have been meaning to say something but I agree with Ange, I love the pic you have posted!
Seriously? I'm always amazed at the lack of sensitivity around me. However, my husband does tell me that I'm hyper-sensitive. So I need to work on not taking offense at little comments.
Still, I'd rather be too sensitive that completely insensitive to those around me.
Does that make sense?
For what it's worth....I think you're great. Your kids will be very lucky to have you as their momma.
Oh my wretched beast. That makes me want to hunt her down, and not in the Jeremiah 16:16 way.
Three words: I know people
Want me to call Vinny?
can we please talk about Erin's father? Tears are streaming down my cheeks! That is the best "why she is married conclusion" I have ever heard and something someone should have told me years ago. I got terrible grades every year I was in school (all the way to my masters) it just makes sense ya know! That man is brilliant I say, brilliant-but then again what do I know? I got terrible grades in school. Thanks Erin(and her father) for making my day!!!!
Laurel, I don't know you, but I hate that woman. I hope that's OK.
Post a Comment