datestampTuesday, April 14, 2009

WWJD wristband anyone?

I know...
I know...
and I promise I know what's really important.
I know I should be more concerned with Jesus...
and less with Jane...

(and I SO am)
BUT...lately...
Lately I've had reason to wonder "What would JANE do?"

For whatever reason, I have been a bit of a "Relationship Dr." the past couple of weeks which is SO ironic because...well, I've been in need of a "Relationship Dr." most of my dating life.

I have messed up a thing or two in my lifetime (and by "thing", I mean potential good relationship). Though, I'm finally to a place where I don't have regrets about it....it is what is it...I am who I am...and it's all been a key part of my life journey. I still kind of wonder what would have happened if I could have figured out some things a little sooner.

I've learned A LOT.
And apparently, I've learned enough to be helpful.

The thing that is so ironic/humorous about my latest "Relationship Dr." moment is that I've been sharing advice that I've never personally followed. BUT, it's the opposite of what I, still single, have done in the past.
And so logic would say that it just might work.
Well, logic would say that anyway.

Funny that I found myself listening to myself.
I heard a few things and as I said them, I'd say to myself, "wow. Laurel. did you hear that? that's probably exactly right."

And tonight it seems to have paid off.

No, not for me (sorry to disappoint)...but for my friend...who almost walked away from a situation I previously would have told her to walk away from (we girls totally realize Lizzy NEVER would have ended up with Darcy if she had listened to her friends, right? "Are you kidding me, Lizzy? You SO deserve better than that." "I'm sorry, Lizzy, but if Darcy is dumb enough to not realize a good thing when it's standing right in front of him at the ball in Meryton...")...well, I helped her through what would Laurel NOT do. And...now...

He told her that her consistency (i.e. "non-Laurel reaction") these last few weeks solidified for him what was right. Said he, "I've realized you're the girl that I want to spend the rest of my life with." (Austen "Darcy" translation: "I cannot fix on the hour, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun." isn't that just about the most perfectly amiable thing you've ever heard?)

Happy tears.
That's what these are.
Happy tears.

Why?
Because it works.
It does.
When you throw away all the "rules" and stop listening to everyone who tells you what they think they should tell you (well, except me...because I've figured it out and clearly I can help. You should SO listen to me...)
well, then...
it works.

When it's right.
When it's really deeply gushingly right.
And you LET it be right.
WOW.

And I know it's not a movie.
But...gosh. It seems pretty darn close.

WWJD?
Me thinks I need to get a wristband so I never forget.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the more appropriate wristband would be WWLD. Then there would be no misunderstanding. ;)

I give you credit... you have tried your darndest on me!

Erin said...

This is a very romantic post. I can't wait for the one you write once you get me married too! :)

Sandra Garcia said...

I could use one of those wristbands - but mostly to remind me to be nice to the hubs.

Angela said...

amen. and amen.

janabananagirl said...

Did you know there is a book called Jane Austen's Guide to Dating. Yes, it really exists and is actually a very good book. It's by Lauren Henderson (hey, we can't all be Laurel Christensen, now can we?)

You should check it out.