Book the ticket!
You know those Foundation for a Better Life billboards?
Have you seen the one with cute 95 yr old college grad Nola Ochs?
The billboard says:
LIVE LIFE
Pass It On.
One of my new favorite people works for this organization and she recently shared with me the the answer Nola gave her when my friend asked the question, "What is your one piece of advice you'd give someone at my age?"
Nola replied,
"BOOK THE TICKET."
In other words, when you have a life opportunity, you take it.
And that's exactly what I'm doing.
The parents of one of my dearest friends have been living for the past few years in Hong Kong. Her dad (who gave one of the best talks ever on "procrastination" a couple of years ago)has been serving in the Asia Area Presidency for the LDS Church. I adore her parents and have made her mother become one of my friends.
I've fallen in love with the Hong Kong trips of Erin & her sisters (Bri & Kara).
Erin and I have talked about going there for a while...but I was never really serious. Who has the time (not to mention the money) to take a trip like that?
And besides, we all know I'm way too married to my life (i.e. job & BlackBerry...more about that later.) to take 2 weeks off. Kara even told me she knew I'd never be able to actually do it.
And yet...
I'm going.
I am.
Erin & I have booked our tickets.
It's official.
And since I likely will NEVER do this again, what trip over in that part of the world would be complete without actually going to mainland China?
Beijing and The Great Wall (I'm going to walk on The Great Wall of China, people!)
Xian (the terracotta warriors. I want to do the Yoga "warrior pose" there!)
Guilin (you know those movies with the gorgeous China landscape? yep.)
Shenzhen (couldn't tell you a thing about it)
then a few days in the city of all cities...HONG KONG.
I did it.
I've passed up life opportunities before.
I've chickened out.
I've procrastinated.
I've been too slow.
I've not stepped up.
But, not this time.
Not this time.
THIS TIME...I booked the ticket.
LIVE.
LIFE.
(and yes, I'm hoping I'm not on some government list for my "not totally educated post" about this country last summer...ironic that I'm going, isn't it? I suppose I still have a few things to learn in this lifetime...grin.)

10 comments:
You did it! You're going! And you're going to love every minute of it.
Did you know Hallstroms heart Laurel? Cause they do.
Good job! I lived too long "waiting" to book my tickets. Psh... life BEGAN when I started booking tix... Be careful. You'll catch the bug and before you know it you'll be going to.... (just think of ALL the possibilities!!!)
You are going to have so much fun (and never regret a second of it!).
So super jealous! I was just saying last night how I wish I had a fun trip to look forward to! Can't wait to read about your adventures!
This post makes me giddy. I can't believe we are doing this...actually, I can't believe YOU are doing this. :)
Great pictures by the way.
AH!!! So excited for you :o)
I just purchased my ticket for France this week. It's a great feeling!
Oh, the places you'll go and the things you will see...IN CHINA! How excited are we that you and Erin are coming to our side of the world. It will be magical and unforgettable! As for Shenzhen, as long as you have money in your pocket, we shall have a delighful time spending it while shopping in the large and spacious building--as all of us expats fondly call it! I shall see you two on the 15th of June!
I have never been so glad to be so wrong.
**SIGH** Got room in your suitcase for a cousin to tag along? I love China! Lived there for 5 months and LOVED every minute of it. YOu may see signs for tours that allow you to sleep on the Great Wall...don't do it! I did it, (loved it) but had I known beforehand that it was the against the law and I couldn't have been thrown in a Chinese jail, I would not have done it. Awwww, ignorance is bliss! Can't wait to hear all about it and to see you on the Great Wall!
祝賀。 我為您是非常愉快的! 我們想要也是來!
Post a Comment