Springtime in Springfield (aka I keep promises!)
Oh, how much have I loved the last 24 hours?
a.) I've had a little break from my responsibilities.
b.) I've been able to be "Aunt Laurel"...one of my most happy life roles.
c.) I've proven that my "flaky Laurel" days were just a phase.
Two years ago I was in Missouri because my nephew Isaac was turning 12 and being ordained a deacon. It was a big deal. His cute sister Hannah was just certain that when she turned 12 it would be a whole lotta nothin. And the reality is that 12 seems to be a big deal for boys being ordained to the Priesthood and not so big a deal for cute girls "just turning 12".
I promised Hannah when she turned 12, we would do an overnight trip...just me and her...to show her what a BIG DEAL it is for girls to turn 12.
Now, keep in mind this was TWO years ago.
I was certain by 2009 I'd be married
or she'd forget
or Jesus would come.
But, here it is...2009...and she's remembered every month for 2 years. And, I just don't think she thought I'd actually do it (even Tuesday night when I flew in she said, "Is something going to happen at work that you'll have to fly back to SLC for tomorrow before we go?").
a.) wow that she would think that.
b.) of course nothing happened...nor COULD have happened to drag me away.
c.) Yea for Aunt Laurel.
Yesterday we drove to Springfield, Illinois. We talked and talked and talked. But, I think my favorite part was when Sara Bareilles "Love Song" came on the radio and we both said, at the exact same time, "I LOVE THIS SONG". I don't know if it made me cooler...or Hannah cooler (grin). We turned it up loud and I sang to every word...as I do everytime I play it.
We checked in at the hotel.OOOH. I love me the "cloud nine bed" at the Hampton Inn. (And feel the need to convert the world, obviously.)
We went to dinner at a midwest tradition.Hannah ordered ravioli.
Then we left for the show...the whole reason Springfield was chosen.
I wish I was smart enough (or brave enough) to illegally tape something. This will have to do:But it so doesn't do it justice. It was amazing though and I HIGHLY recommend it if the show comes to your city. I don't think I've ever said, "SHUT UP" repeatedly more times.
We went back to the hotel with a pint of Haagen Daz mint ice cream and painted Hannah's toenails sparkly blue (mine were already delightfully orange).
Then we eventually fell asleep.
So we could get up and do the other thing we went to Springfield for.I love that Hannah loves shoe shopping as much as I do. We each ended up with a pair (well, I didn't want Hannah to feel left out because she was the only one getting shoes on her birthday!)
I kept my promise. I loved it as much as she did...and it was splendid!
Happy birthday, sweet Hannah. You are a remarkable young woman and I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for you!
(oh, and today is my papa's birthday too...more birthday celebrations and trips to the zoo to come...)

5 comments:
Fabulous...I wish you were my Aunt Laurel.
Lucky you...lucky Hannah.
You probably don't even know what it meant to Hannah that you kept your promise. You're SO good!
I love your shoes! I need some new sandals and those are so cute. Hannah is pretty lucky to have an Aunt like you. Oh yeah, and your hair really looks awesome in that picture.
I love that! You are by far the best at birthday/achievement events. I still have fond memories of many birthday lunches and spa days...Ah, how I love Laurel! When you look in the dictionary under the title "cool aunt" your picture is there! ;)
I love the picture of you both AND the feet. I love being an aunt and I she thinks you are coolest aunt in the world (sorry I already have that title and the awards to prove it -- yea they are all in crayon.) I love that you did this. I know Hannah needed YOU and I know you needed HER. And 12 is a HUGE deal - you become a Beehive and and official YW.
Post a Comment